Category Archives: RAMM
A Night at the Museum Part 1: Exeter Poetry Festival October 5th 2013 – Launch of ExLibris Press and the ‘Making History’ pamphlet
Saturday 5th October 2013
EXLIBRIS launches ‘Making History’
Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 6pm
By invitation only – if interested email firstname.lastname@example.org
ExLibris is the publishing arm of ExCite Poetry, this is its launch event.
We plan to publish a series of pamphlets in both hand-sewn, beautifully produced and designed limited editions and as iBooks with voice recordings of each poem and other added features.
‘Making History’ is our first publication, in partnership with Royal Albert Memorial Museum
It features poems from Lawrence Sail and Harry Guest.
It poems from Devon poets Mark Totterdell, Becky Gethin, Graham Burchell, Sally Flint, Denise McSheehy, Ian Chamberlain, and Simon Williams the winning entrants in an open competition judged by Damian Furniss and Julie-Ann Rowell.
It contains ten poems and ten illustrations from pupils at Redhills Community Primary School who worked with poets in education Phil Bowen and Liz Adams at Royal Albert Memorial Museum
INFORMATION FOR PRESS
ExCite Poetry, the UK Poetry Society stanza for Devon, cordially invite you to attend the launch of ExLibris, the first UK poetry press to produce high quality electronic poetry pamphlets using Apple technology, with full voice recording of poems by their authors, as well as limited editions in hand-stitched hardcopy.
The launch will debut the first pamphlet; an anthology response to the collection of the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, by local school children and established and emerging poets basedin Devon. The museum will be closed to the public, however exhibition spaces will remain open for your perusal.
Prosecco and soft drinks available.
Date: Saturday 5th October 2013
Time: 6:00 – 7:00
Location: The Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Queen Street, Exeter, EX4 3RW
We look forward to seeing you on the 5th. Please RSVP by responding to email@example.com. Thank you.
A Night at the Museum Part 2: Exeter Poetry Festival October 5th 2013 – Lemn Sissay and Dizraeli
Saturday 5th October 2013
DOUBLE BILL with Lemn Sissay, and Dizraeli
Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 7pm – £12 / £9 (concessions)
Book direct from the museum or via undergroundtickets.net
All tickets are standing, bar available
In a double bill Lemn Sissay (MBE) performs live at RAMM. Author of five books of poetry spanning twenty five years, his play Something Dark is winner of a RIMA award and the story of his life was the subject of the BBC documentary ‘Internal Flight’.
Taking on politics, love and supermarkets with a sidelong smile, Dizraeli is the BBC Radio 4 Poetry Slam Champion and charismatic frontman of The Small Gods. “Refreshing, exciting and completely unique.” – Soweto Kinch
A partnership event with Cabaret Voltaire and Royal Albert Memorial Museum
Exeter Poetry Festival 30th September to 6th October 2013 Programme
ExCite and its partners are delighted to announce the Exeter Poetry Festival 2013 programme.
The festival programme was launched on September 5th 2013 at the Exeter Phoenix when a packed house enjoyed readings by Carol Ann Duffy and Ann Gray.
The festival will take place from Monday 30th September 2013 to Sunday 6th September 2013 at venues around Exeter.
We’ll be featuring the poets performing at the festival over the next few weeks in the build-up to festival week.
Monday 30th September 2013
THE BROADSHEET with the Bard of Exeter Simon Williams City Gate Hotel, Cellar Bar, 7.30pm – £2, free to readers
Thursday 3rd October 2013
NATIONAL POETRY DAY with Sean O’Brien and Jo Shapcott Exeter Barnfield Theatre, 7.30pm – £12.50 Book at the Barnfield box office online or phone 01392 271808
Friday 4th October 2013
BEYOND BORDERS with Roddy Lumsden, Peter Finch and Hannah Silva Exeter University Queen’s Building – Lecture Theatre 7.30pm – £9 Book at the Exeter Phoenix box office online or phone 01392 667080
EXETER UNIVERSITY MA SHOWCASE with Barbara Farley, Isabel Galleymore, Louise Jenkins, and Naomi Williamson Exeter University Queen’s Building – Senior Common Room 6.30pm – Free Event
Saturday 5th October 2013
FESTIVAL WORKSHOP with Greta Stoddart Exeter (Temporary) Library, 2pm-5pm – £12 To book contact firstname.lastname@example.org
EXLIBRIS launches ‘Making History’ Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 5.45pm By invitation only – if interested email email@example.com
TRIPLE BILL with Lemn Sissay, Dizraeli and Benin City Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 7pm – £12 / £9 (concessions) Book direct from the museum or via undergroundtickets.net
Sunday 6th October 2013
STUDIO 36 with Marcus Wylie (workshop), Rachel McCarthy and Alasdair Paterson Gallery 36, Denmark Road, Exeter – £5 (workshop), £5 (reading), £8 (all day) Pay on the door, in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support
EXETER POETRY SLAM 2013 hosted by Morwenna Griffiths and Tim King The Bikeshed Theatre, 7.30pm – £5 Tickets from The Bikeshed box office or phone 01392 434169 To take part email firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol Ann Duffy in Exeter, Devon at the Exeter Phoenix on 5th September 2013 at 18:45
Reading in Exeter, Devon for the first time since her appointment as Poet Laureate, Carol Ann Duffy is joined by fellow poet Ann Gray on Thursday 5th September 2013 at 6.45pm at Exeter Phoenix .
Exeter Phoenix, Bradninch Place, Gandy Street, Exeter, EX4 3LS.
Tickets: £12/£10 students including booking fee. Telephone: 01392 667080. http://www.exeterphoenix.org.uk/
The event will launch the Exeter Poetry Festival 2013 and is promoted by Excite, the Poetry Society Stanza for Exeter and Devon.
RAMM Pamphlet Competition 2013
ExCite Poetry, the Poetry Society Stanza for Exeter and Devon, will launch a poetry publishing arm on the 5th October, during the Exeter Poetry Festival 2013 (3rd – 6th October 2013).
ExCite Poetry will publish single-author poetry pamphlets and anthologies with a focus on supporting emerging and established poets in Devon. Pamphlets will be in both print form and, uniquely, electronic form with voice recording, for sale via Apple iBooks.
The inaugural pamphlet will be an anthology response to items in the collection of the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter. Contributions will be from local school children, renowned poets in Devon and via open submission to find the best emerging talent.
Terms and conditions for open submission are below.
The deadline for entries is August 24th.
An invitation only launch event will be held in the Royal Albert Memorial Museum on the evening of the 5th of October 2013, at 6pm, with readings from contributing poets. Press queries should be directed to email@example.com or via phone on 07854 598552.
Terms and conditions for open submission to RAMM pamphlet project
• Poems must respond to an item(s) in the collection(s) housed in galleries 2 (‘Down to Earth’) and 3-4 (‘Making History’) in the Royal Albert Memorial Museum in central Exeter.
• Any style of poem is allowed but it must not exceed 25 lines including the title and spaces between stanzas.
• Poems must be typed, single-spaced, on A4 size paper
• Poems will be selected anonymously; your name, or any other mark of identification, must not appear anywhere on the poem.
• Provide a separate cover sheet with your name, postal address, phone number, email address, title of your submission(s) and the item(s) in the museum’s collection to which your poem responds.
• You can enter up to 3 poems. There is no charge for entry.
• No alterations may be made once a poem has been submitted.
• The successful entrants will be contacted by post during the first week of Sept 2013
• Selected poems will be published as part of a limited edition pamphlet launched on the 5th October 2013, at 6pm, at the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, as part of Exeter Poetry Festival 2013. In submitting a poem(s) you guarantee that you will be available to read on the 5th October at RAMM and will have previously made yourself available for an audio recording of your poem during September 2013.
• The copyright of the poem, both text and recording, remains with the author, but ExCite reserves the right to publish or broadcast the work in its entirety or in part in the UK during 2013-14for PR purposes.
• The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
• Entrants must have a Devon postcode.
• Entrants do not need to be a member of ExCite Poetry in order to submit a poem, but agree to having their details stored by ExCite Poetry for future reference.
• Poems should be in English or English dialect, and the original work of the author.
• The poems may not have been previously published or broadcast.
How to Enter:
• Deadline for entries is August 24th 2013. Entries are by post only. The address for entries is: Exeter Poetry Festival, FAO Rachel McCarthy, Flat 2, 50 St David’s Hill, EX4 4DT. Your work will not be returned, so please keep a copy. If you wish acknowledgement of receipt, include an SAE.
• Entry indicates acceptance of these rules. Entries failing to meet all these conditions will be automatically rejected.