Exeter Poetry Festival 2014 free-to-enter competition open to Devon residents: ‘Voices and Memory’ of World War One
On the Saturday of this year’s Exeter Poetry Festival we will be holding a series of events exploring the less heard voices of World War One including a presentation of work by female poets of the period, an independently produced film on Ivor Gurney, and poems by Devon school children. We are now inviting adult residents in Devon to become part of the day and the publication we are launching on it.
Terms and conditions for open submission to WW1 pamphlet project:
• Poems must respond to the anniversary of the outbreak of WW1, through the theme of ‘Voices and Memory’. Selected poems will appear in a pamphlet of the same title, together with writing and art created in a schools workshop held in Exeter Library.
• Any style of poem is allowed but it must not exceed 25 lines including the title and spaces between stanzas.
• Poems must be typed, single-spaced, on A4 size paper
• Poems will be selected anonymously; your name, or any other mark of identification, must not appear anywhere on the poem.
• Provide a separate cover sheet with your name, postal address, phone number, email address, and title of your submission(s).
• You can enter up to 3 poems. There is no charge for entry.
• No alterations may be made once a poem has been submitted.
• The successful entrants will be contacted by post during the first week of September 2014.
• Selected poems will be published as part of a limited edition pamphlet launched on the 4th October 2014 at 3pm, Exeter Central Library, as part of Exeter Poetry Festival 2014. In submitting a poem(s) you guarantee that you will be available to read on the 4th October at the library and will have previously made yourself available for an audio recording of your poem, during September 2014.
• The copyright of the poem, both text and recording, remains with the author, but ExCite reserves the right to publish or broadcast the work in its entirety or in part in the UK during 2014-15 for PR purposes.
• The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into. Entries will be selected by members of the ExCite board.
• Entrants must have a Devon postcode.
• Entrants do not need to be a member of ExCite Poetry in order to submit a poem, but agree to having their details stored by ExCite Poetry for future reference.
• Poems should be in English or English dialect, and the original work of the author.
• The poems may not have been previously published (this includes online) or broadcast.
How to Enter:
• Deadline for entries is August 12th. Entries are by post only. The address for entries is:
Exeter Poetry Festival,
FAO Alasdair Paterson,
Taddyforde House North,
New North Road,
Your work will not be returned, so please keep a copy. If you wish acknowledgement of receipt, include an SAE.
• Entry indicates acceptance of these rules. Entries failing to meet all these conditions will be automatically rejected
Posted on July 16, 2014, in ExCite Poetry, Exeter Central Library, Exeter Poetry Festival, Poetry Competition and tagged Excite Poetry, Exeter Central Library, Exeter Poetry Festival, Poetry Competition. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Exeter Poetry Festival 2014 free-to-enter competition open to Devon residents: ‘Voices and Memory’ of World War One.